The new (old) house needs new furniture. Meeting with our designer, I realized that some of the things we were planning to purchase (at great cost) were things that I could make for less. Moreover, I felt like my skills were finally to a point that I could build something equivalent but nicer than we could purchase from a company.
And so this pair of side tables was born.
The carcasses (bodies) of the tables will be painted a brown-black color. The drawers are my first attempt at using an NK style drawer method. This turned out to be an incredibly efficient way to build what is the smoothest operating drawer I’ve ever made. Below is a variant on the method I saw in an old Fine Woodworking article (Fine Woodworking 150). This is a Scandinavian method by which you fit the drawer by building the bottom first. If you zoom in you can see that only the little walnut runner interacts with the carcase. Unlike the method recommended by FWW, I attached the bottom to the drawer sides in a manner that let me use another piece of wood as an applied front.
The applied front is a piece of curly red oak that I found years ago, but I hadn’t found the right moment until now… The drawer front is finished with danish oil and garnet shellac.
These tables go next to the master bed. Instead of lamps, there are these large pendants over the tables. The drawer body obscures the switch location but leaves it accessible to the user(s).